Monday, January 1, 2007

Getting Started

This fulfills my first resolution of 2007. I resolved to start a blog. Does this make me part of the "you" generation, honored by Time magazine as "Man of the Year"?

The second resolution I made was to do more writing and journalling. I've kept a journal in one form or another since I was sixteen. That was more than forty years ago. I'm halfway through Volume 31 of my hand-written journals. Blogging seems to be a natural next step.

Journalling has been the way I have formed, developed, refined, affirmed and sometimes changed my views and beliefs over the years. It has helped me work through crises at a cost much lower than therapy. The older I get, the more I use my diaries as a way to record and preserve contemporary history and my reactions to those events. Journals are a place to remember.

This is why I chose to call my blog "Recordor et Credo" (I Remember & Believe). It will be a compilation of one middle-aged woman's memories, experiences, and beliefs. In it, I will use "I-statements:" "I believe," "I should," "I think," etc. I am not here to impose my beliefs, ideas, etc., on others with statements like "you should" or "you must" or "you ought to." I hope those who choose to leave comments will do the same.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What part of IL? I grew up there myself. In the 50s, in "Henry", a little farm town just north of Peoria.

This is Gladiator from the TU board...

yankeereb said...

I grew up in Alton, Illinois.

How Many of Me Are There?


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are:
286
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

http://howmanyofme.com">How many have your name?

Favorite Books

  • Adrift by Steven Callahan
  • American Jihad: The Terrorists Living Among Us by Steven Emerson
  • Christmas Train, The by David Baldacci
  • Christy by Catherine Marshall
  • Civil War Two: The Coming Breakup of America by Thomas Chittum
  • Conquer the Crash by Robert P. Prechter, Jr.
  • Contemplation in a World of Action by Thomas Merton
  • Dark Night of the Soul, The by St. John of the Cross
  • Death Comes to the Archbishop by Willa Cather
  • From the Ground Up: The Story of a First Garden by Amy Stewart
  • Great Late Planet Earth, The by Hal Lindsey
  • Hidden Dangers of the Rainbow, The by Constance Cumbey & Ron Rigsbee
  • Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales
  • Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain
  • Man Who Walked through Time, The by Colin Fletcher
  • My Antonia by Willa Cather
  • Old Glory: A Voyage Down the Mississippi by Jonathan Raban
  • Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard
  • Religions of Man by Huston Smith
  • Republic, The by Plato
  • Running with Angels by Pamela H. Hansen
  • Seven Storey Mountain, The by Thomas Merton
  • Skipping Christmas by John Grisham
  • The Girl of the Sea of Cortez by Peter Benchley
  • The Pleasures of Philosophy by Will Durant
  • Walden by Henry David Thoreau
  • Walk across America, A by Peter Jenkins