Monday, July 4, 2011

Is Casey Anthony Quilty of First Degree Murder?

After watching a fair amount of the trial and all of the closing arguments, including the prosecution's rebuttal, I am glad I am not a member of Casey Anthony's jury. After yesterday's closing arguments, I was convinced there was enough reasonable doubt to void a quilty verdict for first degree murder. Today, I am not so sure.

Until today, I did not know that there are two types of first degree murder. One is premeditated; the other is called felony murder. Premeditation is not always a condition for a first degree murder verdict. Felony murder comes into play if a death is the result of other actions such as aggravated child abuse, when actions not intended to kill but which are egregious or dangerous enough that the victim dies.

All along, I have speculated that Casey Anthony may have used chloroform to sedate her daughter when Casey wanted to party or be with her boyfriend. The duct tape may have been used to keep her cries from being heard by passersby if she was left in a car in a parking lot. Little Cayle may have died when Casey accidentally gave her too much chloroform or Cayle aspirated her own vomit because her mouth was taped shut, which could cause her to drown in her own fluids. I have never believed Casey intended to kill Cayle and panicked when it happened.

As a result, I have suspected that political or career ambitions on the part of prosecutors entered into the decision to make this high-profile case a first degree murder case. Second degree murder or manslaughter made more sense to me, especially since we do not know the exact manner of Cayle's death nor the time of death.

Casey was not well-represented by her attorney, Jose Bias. Amazingly, this is Bias' first capital murder trial. If my life was hanging in the balance, I sure would not want my lawyer cutting his trial teeth on my case. His inexperience showed throughout the trial in various missteps that resulted in most prosecution objections being sustained and most of his objections being rejected by the judge.

Still, Bias was able to raise a number of issues that could cause reasonable doubt in the minds of jurors. He also blew a lot of hot air up their skirts and trousers. As much as the jury is ready to go home, I expect their deliberations to take some time, and I will be surprised if they come back with a first degree conviction. If I were on the jury, I know I could convict on manslaughter, child abuse, obstruction of justice and lying to law enforcement officers. I am not so sure about second degree murder or aggravated child abuse.

However, this is the wonder of the justice system our founding fathers created. A jury of peers comes together to look at and hear all of the evidence before rendering their verdict. Whether the jury comes back with the same verdict I think I could vote for does not matter. I will accept and trust the jury's decision. Watching this courtroom drama unfold was not how I had planned to spend this 4th of July weekend, however I think it was a uniquely appropriate way to celebrate our nation's birthday.

One thing is certain. Casey Anthony is a liar, perhaps a pathological liar. The trial made it clear where she learned this skill -- from her parents. Neither her father nor mother were credible witnesses in my eyes. Yet, I have sympathy for both of them, especially her mother. Silly as her testimony was, Cindy tried desperately to cover for her daughter's internet searches for chloroform. As a woman, I can understand her desire to protect her child. For their sakes, I hope the jury does not bring back a death penalty recommendation if they do convict Casey of first degree murder.

No comments:

How Many of Me Are There?


HowManyOfMe.com
LogoThere are:
286
people with my name
in the U.S.A.

http://howmanyofme.com">How many have your name?

Favorite Books

  • Adrift by Steven Callahan
  • American Jihad: The Terrorists Living Among Us by Steven Emerson
  • Christmas Train, The by David Baldacci
  • Christy by Catherine Marshall
  • Civil War Two: The Coming Breakup of America by Thomas Chittum
  • Conquer the Crash by Robert P. Prechter, Jr.
  • Contemplation in a World of Action by Thomas Merton
  • Dark Night of the Soul, The by St. John of the Cross
  • Death Comes to the Archbishop by Willa Cather
  • From the Ground Up: The Story of a First Garden by Amy Stewart
  • Great Late Planet Earth, The by Hal Lindsey
  • Hidden Dangers of the Rainbow, The by Constance Cumbey & Ron Rigsbee
  • Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales
  • Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain
  • Man Who Walked through Time, The by Colin Fletcher
  • My Antonia by Willa Cather
  • Old Glory: A Voyage Down the Mississippi by Jonathan Raban
  • Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard
  • Religions of Man by Huston Smith
  • Republic, The by Plato
  • Running with Angels by Pamela H. Hansen
  • Seven Storey Mountain, The by Thomas Merton
  • Skipping Christmas by John Grisham
  • The Girl of the Sea of Cortez by Peter Benchley
  • The Pleasures of Philosophy by Will Durant
  • Walden by Henry David Thoreau
  • Walk across America, A by Peter Jenkins